Wednesday, September 26, 2007

What Boss Says?

This is an article from the ‘Ren Cai’ magazine that I think worth sharing. It’s about an employer describing what he belief about outstanding employee:

It happened once that an IT graduate came to see me for a job interview. During the interview, something embarrassing yet amusing happened.

My first interview question (to the IT graduate) was “How can you assist the company?”

“I don’t know,” he rejoined smilingly.

So I asked my second question, “You are major in multimedia, do you know how to build a website?”

“No, I don’t. I’d never learn it, he he.” Still, he replied smilingly.

I then proceeded with my third question, “Ok, fine. Then what have you learn? Mind to talk about it?”

“Sorry, I’ve forgotten.” he said... shamelessly.

At this point, I smiled, and then told him “In that case, even if I've employed you, I will only regard you as a SPM holder…”

“What?” he interrupted immediately, “But I have spent twenty thousand tuition fees, is the degree diploma useless?”

Seeing such a big reaction from him, I joked smilingly, “I understand what you mean, but your diploma does not worth a thing to us, we can’t hang it to the wall and pray to it everyday: “Please finish the jobs!”, and then things will be fine?”

“Oh yea, ha ha!” He nodded in agreement and smiled.

Through this interview, I once again, assured that an excellent employee mustn’t be a person who holds a B.Sc., M.Sc. or PhD, rather, he or she can be of assistance to the company in the following:

  1. Making profits
  2. Reducing expenses/cost saving
  3. Solving problems
  4. Not to create problems

p/s: Hope the article did not lose its essence in translation. The original is in Chinese.

No comments: