Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Fly

One day a man saw an elder who already (looks like) eighty something but is still working. This filled the man with wonder, so he asked the elder:

“You are so old already, why are you still working?”

The elder replied,
“Have you ever see birds? Did birds ever quit flying?”

The words of wisdom given by the elder had deeply touched the man… it had touched me too, when I heard the story shared by the man in this evening’s course that I attended.

I have a similar story of my own, in a less-wisdom version:
One day, a student came into my office room while I am reading a book. He asked: “Sir, you are already a lecturer, why are you still studying?” I smile (I know this don’t happed often, I guess it’s the student’s lucky day) and explained to him that being an academician, learning is a life-long matter bla bla bla and bla bla bla… (Hope I don’t put the student into sleep) But I know how I should react to that kind of question now, so that I sound better and wiser - like a man with wisdom : )

Anthony Robbins, a renowned life coach once said that:
“The only way we are happy in our life is when we are growing”

This is very true to me, no wonder I love learning so much (not limited to academic stuff). When I’m learning something, I am growing, and that is where the enjoyment comes.

I really feel pity for students who don’t find study enjoyable; I think the reason that they don’t is because they don’t study for grow, but for exam and grade. Well, I used to be a student before, I know how terrible it is to have to force ourselves memorizing facts and steps instead of to perform what a real student is suppose to perform – study and grow!

A bird that has stopped flying would not travel far.
So be wise friends, find the ‘wings’ and ‘fly’!
This will keep us growing…
and to
Enjoy this life better.

No comments: