Thursday, September 4, 2008

A Combo Luggage - Photography Expedition Part 1

Last week, I’ve been to Oirase to photograph the natural stream. I’ve spent quite some time in planning the trip like what to bring, how, and the transportation. This visit is not like a tour however, it’s more like an expedition, because it has a very specific objective – photography. So this trip is a photography expedition, my very 1st photography expedition indeed.

When come to traveling, my preference is to go with bunch of friends that are playable. I am not the backpacker type of traveler who enjoys traveling alone just for exploring new things. However, I did not invite anyone to go along for this trip for reason that this is not the kind of trip that non-photography-enthusiast would enjoy. For trip like this, you either go with one who shares the same interest, or you (better) go alone.

To prepare for the trip that entails the carrying of my various photography gears, I have spent quite some time revisiting Yodobashi Camera to figure out how to bring them in a most convenient/easy way. Some would suggest a good backpack, but I didn’t favor that, I prefer something comes with rollers that I can drag along, moving light, and easy. But as I am going for an expedition, not a normal tour, this doesn’t make sense right? There must be some path that I have to carry the baggage like a backpack, if not in this trip, maybe in the future trip as I am not going to buy a luggage that I’ll just use for once. So I’m kind of needed a combo – rollers combined backpack. Fortunately, I finally found one; see following picture, it carries every of my essential, plus some bonus stuff (I mean the big one and the tripod carrier, not the smaller bag).

What triggered my buying decision was the tripod carrier, otherwise it is just ordinary luggage with rollers to me, and I still have to carry my tripod separately.


See the below pic, this is what I mean by combo - the backpack option :)The insides are dividers made of cushioning material, so I have no problem putting Fragile-Handling-with-care stuffs like laptop and camera lens.

Taking along the laptop is very important as I can transfer files from camera to laptop for backup and reviewing purpose. The LCD of my Canon 40D is only 3”, I need a bigger LCD to judge the picture’s quality, so that I can adjust accordingly for the next shooting session (sounds very professional isn’t it?). I also have umbrella, and water bottle place at the side pocket of the bag, what else do I need?!!

The smaller bag is for camera and some bread. So in total, I only need to bring two bags – the maximum you can take along as a two-handed creature.

When going out shooting, the combo luggage stays in the room; I go with the camera bag (4kg) and tripod (2.5kg).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

its good to know about it? where did you get that information?

Cheng See Yuan said...

you mean the luggage? I visited the shop called Yodobashi Camera (very popular in Japan) and found it there. It sells more than 50 types of camera bags, and displaying almost all model of cameras for testing.