Sunday, September 25, 2011

Video Editing - Sony Vegas

I recently edited a video about the last family trip around Hokkaido. 
(It's literally a family trip because we rarely have a trip that both my parents and sibling are traveling together. I really can't recall when was the last one before this trip - probably when my parents brought us to the Penang beach during my childhood before my sister was born?)


Here is my workflow stages:
1. Review/select footage and in port into Sony Vegas Project file (Edit footage frame rate to match the intended frame rate)
2. Trimming to make it as short as 2 min (but sometime this is hard)
3. Decide/Edit on aspect ratio
4. Color grading (probably I am a very 'visual' person, I enjoy this part the most)
5. Create visual/sound effects (e.g. film burn, film effect, tv-simulation, etc.)
6. Score/musics (I hate this part, but a video is without soul if without it, so I have no choice)
7. Titles/wordings 


For this particular project, I started it two weeks ago. The final result is totally different than what I thought it would be at the beginning (old film style). Because after the stage 1, I felt that the old film style will not goes well with the flow and the contents. 
During stage 2, I have to divide the Sony Vegas project into two smaller project files, because the computer capacity couldn't handle the huge memory demand - more than 4 GB. 
(This is weird as my window 7 is a 64bit version and it has 8 GB ram capacity. Anyway, my experience with my pc tells me that for as long as I reduced the project file to below 4 GB, I will have no problem in previewing and rendering.)
Stages 3 to 5 were done in two separate project files. Then I render the results to a 1920x1080 videos with the intended frame rate, wmv format to reduce file size. 
For stage 6 and stage 7, I created another project file and put together all the video parts rendered in the previous step. This include the time lapse clips which were rendered from other project file in mov format for better quality.
Stage 6 is the most hardest part to me. For a Hollywood movie, they have a composer to create the score/music. If this is a paid project, I will not hesitate to hire someone for the task. But since this is a non-profit, personal project, I got to handle it myself. The most efficient way for me to do it is to find some nice movie soundtrack that match the video (or to fine tune a little bit of the scenes to match the music). Though this is painful sometime, but the outcome is really rewarding when you have the music that brings the video to life! 


Screenshot of Sony Vegas Project:
During stage 2
During stage 7

Screengrabs:




















Here is the video:





Some notes about footage shootings:
This wasn't really a well prepared project. I did have in mind that I wanted to record somethings about the trip because it is a very rare chance for the whole family to travel together, especially to this far. However, since I was the one who did the trip planning, managing transportation and accommodations, driving, I really can't commit to seriously shooting the footage. No tripod or other support most of the time, because that will be very inconvenient for me when I need to handle other stuff at the same time. Therefore, I relied mostly on my 16-35mm lens to make handshake not so apparent. 
My mindset was that if what I shoot is adequate, then I will edit a video, and if it's not, I will just make a photo slideshow. 
It turns out that I did shot quite a big amount of footage, but they are a little  about this and that events, so I decided to edit a montage video. This explains why there is no connection between most of the scenes. 
One scene however should have been included - sushi, since most of the time we are dinning at sushi restaurant, and that Hokkaido sushi is considered the best in Japan. Probably because I am not a fan of sushi, so it turns out that I didn't shoot any footage about it. 
The bear shot wasn't by me, it was by my brother using a camcorder while I was driving. The time I took out my camera and get the setting right, the bear already gone.  
 







No comments: